We’re looking for a full-time, remote Brewery Accounting Associate to join our specialized team. The main objective of this role is to support the day-to-day bookkeeping, monthly close, and client coordination activities required for our Brewery Team to operate effectively in accordance with the SBS Core Values.
We’re fully remote, with both team members and clients located all across the U.S. and have developed our own unique culture and operating system we call The SBS Way. Here’s a short introduction to our firm.
How we work is just as important as the results that we deliver. Everything that we do, day-in and day-out, is guided by our core values and is embodied in our team, our process, and our relationships with clients, partners, and the industry. Our core values are:
- Be Antifragile
- Play The Long Game
- Embrace Technology
- Build and Trust The Process
- Act as a Team of Expert Knowledge Workers
Far from your typical corporate “values” checklist, we hire, evaluate, and make our most important strategic decisions against these criteria. The right fit for this role will embrace, uphold, and contribute to forwarding these values in the work they do, and the interaction they have with clients and team members.
We’re looking for an individual who:
- Embraces technology and learning. Rather than someone with a specialized skill set or a long resume of accomplishments, the person who is the best fit for this role is, at their core, someone who embraces new challenges, has an open mind, and is growth oriented. Where you may lack experience, you make up for it with determination, a willingness to learn, and the ability to seamlessly navigate technology and processes once you have the basics down.
- Enjoys consistency and finds no task too small. As part of our Brewery Team, you’ll be working with a regular set of clients week-in and week-out, anticipating needs and enjoying a consistent workflow. From matching receipts to expenses, reconciling daily sales, performing data entry, collecting documentation, following up and coordinating with clients, you understand the importance of every detail and embrace each aspect of this essential support role with diligence and professionalism.
- Works independently and enjoys being a part of a high performance team. You’ll be a key member of the “ship’s crew,” rowing the team forward to our standard set of deliverables required for each client while also navigating issues and potential roadblocks as you do. It’s all about time management, routines, organization and the ability to communicate effectively with our clients and their team, as well as our Accountants, Tax Specialists, and Consultants. You take ownership in what you do, deliver on your commitments independently, but are also an enthusiastic participant in our team dynamic.
This role will report to our Brewery Team Lead and is accountable for fulfilling the following responsibilities:
- Support accounting service delivery for our brewery clients. In the primary function of this role, you’ll work hand-in-hand with our Brewery Accountants to ensure their clients’ books are up to date, reconciled, and closed each month. Because running a brewery requires a complex set of sales, manufacturing, and general business transactions, this process requires both a basic accounting proficiency, as well as a comfort with process and technology. Additionally, you’ll support the annual tax return filing process, quarterly and monthly consulting delivery, and overall communication with our clients. The end goal is to deliver accurate, timely outsourced accounting to our clients to enable them to run their businesses effectively.
- Own your scorecard and projects. We call it the SBS Way. We set monthly benchmarks (a Scorecard) and strategic projects both at the team and individual level in order to make progress towards the firm’s annual goals and overall vision. You’ll be responsible for ensuring you’re meeting your targets and completing projects.
- Participate and contribute to the overall success of our team. Each week the team meets (both over Zoom and asynchronously) to share wins, progress, and knowledge, as well as identify and solve issues. This occurs at multiple levels: as a company, as an operations team, as an accounting team, and individually both with your manager and peers. Your full participation in this process in critical order to problem solve, develop both individual and group knowledge and skill, and ensure that we are operating as a cohesive unit to achieve our ultimate mission.
- Participate in ongoing process improvement. Each week we work not only to serve our clients, but also to improve the process of how we conduct that work. Every member of our team is expected to be on the lookout and vocal about issues, inefficiencies, and opportunities for improvement. You’ll work both internally and with clients to contribute to that ethic and continuously improve our processes.
In order for this role to operate effectively, the following basic requirements must be met:
- Previous experience as an Office Manager, Accounting Associate/Assistant, Bookkeeper or similar role with exposure to bookkeeping, AP/AR, basic accounting and monthly reconciliation.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Online and Bill.com or other similar accounting software platforms.
- Have rock solid proficiency with the full Google Suite of products.
- Have crystal clear professional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work with clients, partners, vendors, and internal team members alike.
- Have exacting organizational standards and a calm and friendly, yet persistent follow-up focus in order to ensure things get done on time.
- Have a demonstrated ability to rapidly adapt to new technologies and software, as well as learn independently as needs come up.
- Available and responsive during normal business hours (9am-5pm Eastern Time, Monday-Friday).
- Have a strong, consistent internet connection and a work environment conducive to video calls.
Preferred, but not required qualifications include:
- Direct previous experience in AR/AP, general ledger accounting and reconciliation of books in a remote environment.
- Experience and/or knowledge of the craft brewing industry and brewing process.
- Sales or customer service experience directly interacting with clients or customers.
- Experience with the following platforms and their integrations: Bill.com, Ekos, Square, Toast, Gusto, Paychex, ADP, Eventbrite, Stripe.
- Experience using Podio or similar remote project management tools (e.g. Trello, Asana, Wrike, Smartsheet, etc.).
Beyond the basics, the individual best fit for this role will need to be consistently motivated, engaged, curious, and able to exemplify the core values of the firm, while executing the objectives of the position with speed, precision, and expertise.
If the position, culture, values, and mission at Small Batch Standard sound like they’re the right fit for you, please apply using this form.