We’re looking for a full-time, remote Brewery Tax Specialist to join our specialized team. The main objective of this role is to provide overall tax guidance and preparation of individual, corporate, and partnership tax returns for our brewery clients in accordance with the SBS Core Values.
We’re fully remote, with both team members and clients located all across the U.S. We’ve also made a commitment to running a Calm Company that supports work-life integration. Here’s a short introduction to our firm.
How we work is just as important as the results that we deliver. Everything that we do, day-in and day-out, is guided by our core values and is embodied in our team, our process, and our relationships with clients, partners, and the industry. Our core values are:
- Be Antifragile
- Play The Long Game
- Embrace Technology
- Build and Trust The Process
- Act as a Team of Expert Knowledge Workers
Far from your typical corporate “values” checklist, we hire, evaluate, and make our most important strategic decisions against these criteria. The right fit for this role will embrace, uphold, and contribute to forwarding these values in the work they do, and the interaction they have with clients and team members.
We’re looking for an individual who:
- Has the tax technical DNA and the relationship management skills. This isn’t your first rodeo. You’ve got a strong working knowledge of both tax code and technology. Check. You’ve prepared intermediate and complex individual, corporate and partnership tax returns. Check. You’ve got a knack for interacting closely with internal accounting team members, and thrive in periodic engagement with clients to strengthen the relationship and stay current on any changes that may affect their return. Check! In other words: you’re well-rounded and excited to apply your tax expertise within a thriving, team and client-oriented culture.
- Enjoys the continuity of a core portfolio of clients and approaches tax season with a level head. This role acts as an extension of our clients’ team, and so the relationships, workflow, and chemistry our tax specialists develop with our breweries is essential to maintain and build upon. The individual best fit for this role will enjoy the consistency of working with a regular set of clients week-in and week-out , as well as embrace tax season with the calm, smooth, level-headedness that comes along with the diligent application of preparation and processes. “Consistency is key” is your motto.
- Is a manager of one. Unlike working within a traditional firm, in this role you’ll be in the driver’s seat, managing your workflow and workload in order to meet the standard set of deliverables required for each client. For most individuals in the accounting profession, this shift in working style is dis-orienting and challenging. It requires self-discipline, habits, routines, organization, scheduling, and the ability to communicate effectively and set boundaries. For a select few (and the person who is the right fit for this role), it’s exactly the freedom, autonomy and breath of fresh air they’ve been searching for.
This role will report to Brewery Team Lead and is accountable for fulfilling the following responsibilities:
- Tax service delivery for our brewery clients. In the primary function of this role, you’ll work hand-in-hand with our brewery clients and brewery accountants to ensure their books are up to date, reconciled, and closed each month and year-end in preparation for tax filings (property, sales, payroll, partnership, S-Corp, C-Corp, non-profit, state and federal). Because breweries involve a complex set of sales, manufacturing, and general business transactions, this process requires a deep technical proficiency and comfort with process and technology. The end goal is to deliver accurate, timely outsourced accounting and tax services to our clients to enable them to run their businesses effectively.
- Research and resolve tax issues with state and federal agencies. You’ll be answering clients’ questions and concerns, while opening your capacity to embrace learning and seek out resources, providing advice on routine tax and business matters while identifying opportunities for tax savings for our clients.
- Own your scorecard and rock projects. We run our business on EOS and Shape Up and use those frameworks to set monthly objectives (the Scorecard) and longer-term strategic projects (the Rocks) both at the team and individual level in order to make progress towards the firm’s annual goals and overall vision. You’ll be responsible for ensuring you’re meeting your targets and completing projects.
- Participate and contribute to the overall success of our team. Each week the team meets (both over Zoom and asynchronously) to share wins, progress, and knowledge, as well as identify and solve issues. This occurs at multiple levels: as a company, as an operations team, as an accounting team, and individually both with your manager and peers. Your full participation in this process in critical order to problem solve, develop both individual and group knowledge and skill, and ensure that we are operating as a cohesive unit to achieve our ultimate mission.
- Participate in ongoing process improvement. Each week we work not only to serve our clients, but also to improve the process of how we conduct that work. Every member of our team is expected to be on the lookout and vocal about issues, inefficiencies, and opportunities for improvement. You’ll work both internally and with clients to contribute to that ethic and continuously improve our processes.
In order for this role to operate effectively, the following basic requirements must be met:
- Minimum of 2 years of previous experience in public accounting, with a well-rounded knowledge of GAAP.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Previous experience in preparation of intermediate and complex individual, corporate, and partnership tax returns.
- Have crystal clear professional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work with clients, partners, vendors, and internal team members alike.
- Have exacting organizational standards and a calm and friendly, yet persistent follow-up focus in order to ensure things get done on time.
- Have a demonstrated ability to rapidly adapt to new technologies and software, as well as learn independently as needs come up.
- Have rock solid proficiency with QuickBooks and the full Google Suite of products.
- Available and responsive during normal business hours (9am-5pm Eastern Time, Monday-Friday).
- Have a strong, consistent internet connection and a work environment conducive to video calls.
Preferred, but not required qualifications include:
- Direct previous experience in public accounting, preparing intermediate and complex individual, corporate, and partnership tax returns in a remote environment.
- Master’s degree in Accounting.
- CPA or CPA eligible.
- Experience and/or knowledge of the craft brewing industry and brewing process.
- Sales or customer service experience directly interacting with clients or customers.
- Experience with the following platforms and their integrations: Bill.com, Ekos, Square, Toast, Gusto, Paychex, ADP, Eventbrite, Stripe.
- Experience using Podio or similar remote project management tools (e.g. Trello, Asana, Wrike, Smartsheet, etc.).
Beyond the basics, the individual best fit for this role will need to be consistently motivated, engaged, curious, and able to exemplify the core values of the firm, while executing the objectives of the position with speed, precision, and expertise.
If the position, culture, values, and mission at Small Batch Standard sound like they’re the right fit for you, please apply using this form.